Re: [Patterns] Materialize Inferences (was Re: Triple materialization at publisher level)

On 7 Apr 2010, at 09:55, Leigh Dodds wrote:

> Linked Data can be consumed by a wide variety of different client
> applications and libraries. Not all of these will have ready access to
> an RDFS or OWL reasoner, e.g. Javascript libraries running within a
> browser or mobile devices with limited processing power. How can a
> publisher provide access to data which can be inferred from the
> triples they are publishing?

It's not that difficult really to add basic reasoning to your data. Using SPARQL
you can easily write out the most common rules.  http://spinrdf.org/

My guess is that small devices will have more problems parsing and downloading
large files than reasoning.

I think more important is to get applications to use data. Then it will
soon become clear as these applications grow, what data is useful to
place at a location. Just as the web browser helped simpify choices of what needed
to be published, so something like interacting foaf+ssl endpoints will end up
making clear what it is best to publish, and what is best left for inferencing.

So I'd say write apps that are viral and that consume the data. Then it
will be clear what to publish, and also what reasoning is useful.

  Henry