Re: Announce: Linked Data Patterns book

Hi Leigh, good news :)
Some obvious links between your list of "modelling patterns", and the
"content" and "logical" pattern catalogues in ODP:

- Ordering relation [1] can be linked to the OWL small vocabulary (we
call those task-oriented, small vocabularies "content patterns"):
sequence.owl [2]

- N-Ary relation [3] has several counterparts: the W3C SWBPD note on n-
ary relations [4], the content pattern situation.owl [5], and other
content patterns for specific classes of n-ary relations
(participation, classification, part-of, membership, etc.) that can be
found in the ODP portal

- Topic relation [6] can be linked to the OWL small vocabulary:
topic.owl [7]

Moreover, it seems that the other types of patterns you have singled
out: "identifier", "application" and "publishing" were partly covered
in the literature about ontology design patterns (our tutorial at [8]
is a pragmatic starting point), but no place has been created yet in
the portal, specially for the sake of linked data-oriented practices:
it'd be great if anyone would create space for them in ODP, where
there is dedicated support for semantic wiki forms, and semantic
management of reviewing and discussions.

Aldo

[1] http://patterns.dataincubator.org/book/ordering-relation.html
[2] http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/cp/owl/sequence.owl
[3] http://patterns.dataincubator.org/book/nary-relation.html
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-n-aryRelations/
[5] http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/cp/owl/situation.owl
[6] http://patterns.dataincubator.org/book/topic-relation.html
[7] http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/cp/owl/topic.owl
[8] http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Training:PhD_Course_on_Computational_Ontologies_%40_University_of_Bologna

On 7 Apr 2010, at 10:55, Leigh Dodds wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 6 April 2010 20:46:21 UTC+1, François Scharffe
> <francois.scharffe@inria.fr> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> OntologyDesignPatterns.org is indeed the place to discuss ontology
>> patterns. It's also good to know which patterns are useful in
>> practice,
>> and linked-data vocab patterns are used in vocabs that are themselves
>> effectively used to describe data. The "known uses" field is actually
>> empty for most patterns on the ODP portal, this should evolve as
>> vocabularies are designed using patterns. Let's explicit links
>> between
>> the two efforts!
>
> Yes, I'll add in links to the wiki where there is an equivalent
> pattern. I'd also encourage everyone here to contribute there,
> particularly to help fill in the gaps around "known uses".
>
> Cheers,
>
> L.
> --
> Leigh Dodds
> Programme Manager, Talis Platform
> Talis
> leigh.dodds@talis.com
> http://www.talis.com

_____________________________________

Aldo Gangemi

Senior Researcher
Semantic Technology Lab (STLab)
Institute for Cognitive Science and Technology,
National Research Council (ISTC-CNR)
Via Nomentana 56, 00161, Roma, Italy
Tel: +390644161535
Fax: +390644161513