Re: Announce: Linked Data Patterns book

Hi,

On 6 April 2010 16:56, Dave Reynolds <dave.e.reynolds@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> ..
>> http://patterns.dataincubator.org
>>
>> More background at [1]. We'd be interested to hear your comments, and
>> hope that it can become a useful resource for the growing community of
>> practitioners.
>
> Looks like a great start, well done!

Thank Dave.

> It would be nice to see some reference to, and inclusion of, the
> patterns than came out of SWBP. E.g. you currently seem to have one
> variant of the three n-ary relation patterns and I couldn't spot the
> classes-as-subjects pattern (but maybe didn't look hard enough).

Yes, there's a some missing references to add in. Actually I think I
have two of the variants: N-Ary Relation & Ordering Relation. The
other is on my list.

I've reviewed some of the other material, which is pretty patchy, but
will incorporate or link to those documents.

> Might also want to reference the ontology design patterns portal [1]
> which has some patterns relevant to the modelling section.

Yes, will do.

> Any plans to make this a wiki so other people can contribute or at least
> comment?

Ian and I debated this for some time, considering both a blog and a
wiki. My preference was to kick things off with a site/book as we have
done here.

There might be some value in more structured discussion around
particular patterns, e.g. on this list, which can then be distilled
down into some useful advice. I remember some very useful experiments
in this vein on xml-dev a number of years ago which I'm considering.
For example new candidate patterns could be posted here for
discussion. I'm also thinking about how to link discussions into the
site to include in-line comments.

In the meantime I'd encourage motivated folk to mail here, or add
things to the ESW wiki. Historically though that wiki has been a bit
of a dumping ground and is, IMHO messy and off-putting to people new
to the subject. I think a little editorial layer is useful to help
make this accessible for a wider audience.

I'm sure others will disagree, but that's the wonder of open licensing :)

Cheers,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds