Re: Yahoo RDFa enahced results example

Hi Eugenio:

 >I think I'm missing the point, Yahoo announced the first support for
microformats more or less one year and half ago, and for RDFa one year
ago
 >(<http://developer.yahoo.net/blog/archives/2008/09/searchmonkey_support_for_rdfa_enabled.html>http://developer.yahoo.net/blog/archives/2008/09/searchmonkey_support_for_rdfa_enabled.html
), am I >wrong?

Yahoo announced the support for RDFa in the SearchMonkey index last autumn.

That meant, they started crawling RDFa on the basis of a set of selected
vocabularies (foaf, sioc, goodrelations, ...)
and make the resulting meta-data available for Yahoo-internal and other
applications via
the extra SearchMonkey index.

Since then, application developers have been able to access that index
for their own software or build own search engines with the Yahoo BOSS
framework.

For example, we wrote a small demo app that mimics Yahoo search and
shows the RDFa meta-data for any page as in the Yahoo index, if any such
data is available:

http://goodrelations-search.appspot.com/

(Note that the N3 output has quite some quirks as compared to what
PyRDFa extracts; there is a bug at Yahoo's side, but they are working on
that).

In a nutshell: Until recently, SearchMonkey meta-data was visible only

- inside BOSS-applications or
- if you were signed in to Yahoo AND activated an extension from the
Yahoo SearchMonkey gallery or
- if you were signed in to Yahoo AND wrote your own extension based on
SearchMonkey meta-data.

Now, very recently Yahoo announced that SearchMonkey meta-data for a
couple of typical page contents, namely GoodRelations-based price
information,
would be used to improve the rendering of the general Yahoo search
results pages - i.e., for anybody, without the need to use any extra
software or signing in.

That is a major innovation because it creates an incentive for any
business in the world to use GoodRelations and other vocabularies for
augmenting their pages.

I hope that clarifies the issue.

Martin

Eugenio Tacchini wrote:
> At 16.15 25/09/2009 +0200, you wrote:
>> Dear Juan:
>>
>> Juan Sequeda wrote:
>>>
>>> So I guess there isn't an answer to Eugenio's question then.
>>
>> The answer is: I don't know a URI that, as of today, already appears
>> in Yahoo with more details based on RDFa mark-up, but that will
>> change very soon.
>> If Peter has one, I would be happy to kearn of it, of course.
>>
>> Note that
>>
>> -  is was only something like five weeks ago that Yahoo officially
>> activated the enhanced display functionality and
>> - that the current re-crawling/update cycles at all major search
>> engines are in the order of magnitude of 2 - 8 weeks, depending on
>> your page popularity.
>
> I think I'm missing the point, Yahoo announced the first support for
> microformats more or less one year and half ago, and for RDFa one year
> ago
> (<http://developer.yahoo.net/blog/archives/2008/09/searchmonkey_support_for_rdfa_enabled.html>http://developer.yahoo.net/blog/archives/2008/09/searchmonkey_support_for_rdfa_enabled.html
> ), am I wrong?
>

> E.

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  mhepp@computer.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
         http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Webcast:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Recipe for Yahoo SearchMonkey:
http://tr.im/rAbN

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://tinyurl.com/semtech-hepp

Talk at

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://tinyurl.com/goodrelations-universe

Project page:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Resources for developers:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations

Tutorial materials:
CEC'09 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey
http://tr.im/grcec09