Re: Yahoo RDFa enahced results example

Dear Juan:

Juan Sequeda wrote:
> So I guess there isn't an answer to Eugenio's question then.

The answer is: I don't know a URI that, as of today, already appears in
Yahoo with more details based on RDFa mark-up, but that will change very
soon.
If Peter has one, I would be happy to kearn of it, of course.

Note that

-  is was only something like five weeks ago that Yahoo officially
activated the enhanced display functionality and
- that the current re-crawling/update cycles at all major search engines
are in the order of magnitude of 2 - 8 weeks, depending on your page
popularity.

Since most early adopters are not among the pages with the highest
page-rank, it is quite natural that it will take a few weeks or months
to see the real impact of this innovation.

I personally think that

http://www.heppnetz.de/searchmonkey/product.html

will be among the first pages to showcase the effect, because it was one
of the first pages with proper mark-up that went online (and still it
took me a few hits to get the mark-up fully Yahoo-compliant).

As a side comment: I am reading a bit of impatience from in between the
lines of your message.

After more than 100 Mio euro of European and US research funding, eight
years of research, and a large share of all academic papers in the field
with rather limited impact, it would be pretty unfair by anyone from the
core Semantic Web research cohort to be impatient over delays in the
order of magnitude of weeks with Yahoo SearchMonkey or GoodRelations to
deliver.

Martin

Juan Sequeda wrote:
> So I guess there isn't an answer to Eugenio's question then.
>
> Juan Sequeda, Ph.D Student
> Dept. of Computer Sciences
> The University of Texas at Austin
> www.juansequeda.com
> www.semanticwebaustin.org
>

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 4:45 AM, Eugenio Tacchini <eugenio@favoriti.it>wrote:
>

>> At 10.24 21/09/2009 +0200, Martin Hepp (UniBW) wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Juan, Eugenio:

>>> Bestbuy

>>> First, note that currently, only the standard Yahoo search results are by
>>> default enhanced by structured meta-data, i.e., you do not appear in the
>>> "local business" directory by Yahoo automatically. I spoke with Yahoo about
>>> that recently and they said that inclusion in those special Yahoo pages
>>> would be a future option, assumed that the amount of data out there is of
>>> sufficient quantity and quality.
>>>
>>> You can check the appearance of a particular page using
>>>
>>>    * wwwurl:<your uri>
>>>
>>> as the search parameter at <http://www.yahoo.com>http://www.yahoo.com.
>>>

>> [...]
>> Hi Martin and thanks for your reply.
>>
>> My question was probably more basic: I just wanted to know some good
>> examples to show during a seminar I have to give in a faculty of economics.
>> So is there a *real* business Web site (not a demo) which provides RDFa
>> data crawled by Yahoo? I just would like to see the RDFa in the source of
>> the site and the enanched result in Yahoo; it would be ok even without a
>> good relation-enanchement.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Eugenio

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  mhepp@computer.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
         http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Webcast:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Recipe for Yahoo SearchMonkey:
http://tr.im/rAbN

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://tinyurl.com/semtech-hepp

Talk at

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://tinyurl.com/goodrelations-universe

Project page:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Resources for developers:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations

Tutorial materials:
CEC'09 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey
http://tr.im/grcec09