Re: Yahoo RDFa enahced results example

Hi Juan, Eugenio:

>Where can we see search results in Yahoo that come from the RDF of Bestbuy
>and Goodrelations?

First, note that currently, only the standard Yahoo search results are
by default enhanced by structured meta-data, i.e., you do not appear in
the "local business" directory by Yahoo automatically. I spoke with
Yahoo about that recently and they said that inclusion in those special
Yahoo pages would be a future option, assumed that the amount of data
out there is of sufficient quantity and quality.

You can check the appearance of a particular page using

    * wwwurl:<your uri>

as the search parameter at http://www.yahoo.com.

For example,

    * wwwurl:http://www.heppnetz.de/searchmonkey/company.html
    * wwwurl:http://www.heppnetz.de/searchmonkey/product.html

If you try that example, you already see the reviews meta-data displayed
correctly, but the price and other details are missing. The reason is
that the SearchMonkey index is not yet up-to-date; we fixed some bugs in
the mark-up, but the crawler has not yet come back.

One problem with the SearchMonkey index and the underlying crawler is
that, depending on the popularity of you page, the update cycles can be
in the order of magnitude of weeks or even months.

If you want to check what meta-data is already included in the Yahoo!
SearchMonkey index, you can use the tool at

http://goodrelations-search.appspot.com/

It is basically a variant of the Yahoo! search service that displays all
meta-data that is found in the Yahoo! index.

Note: At the time of writing, there are some problems in Yahoo's RDF
export, so even though my page has been crawled by Yahoo!, the
SeachMonkey index does not return fully correct RDF. Yahoo is aware of
the bug.

For links etc., see

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_and_Yahoo_SearchMonkey#Congratulations.21

As for BestBuy: BestBuy is currently only exposing RDF/XML, while Yahoo
crawls only RDFa. So the BestBuy data is not yet in the SearchMonkey
index (but in most other SemWeb indices).
There are two solutions to that:

a) Convert the RDF/XML into the Yahoo RDF2DataRSS tool at

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/tools/rdf2datarss/

and feed that into Yahoo using OPML.

b) Create RDFa snippets using our toll RDF2RDFa at

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/tools/rdf2rdfa

ans insert that into original pages or a second XHTML presence of the
catalog.

We are in contact with BestBuy regarding that as a major showcase.

Best

Martin

Juan Sequeda wrote:
> Good question.
>
> Where can we see search results in Yahoo that come from the RDF of Bestbuy
> and Goodrelations?
>
> Juan Sequeda, Ph.D Student
> Dept. of Computer Sciences
> The University of Texas at Austin
> www.juansequeda.com
> www.semanticwebaustin.org
>

> On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Eugenio Tacchini <eugenio@favoriti.it>wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>> maybe I'm a bit OT, anyway: could someone give me a good example of yahoo
>> local business RDFa-enanched result?
>>
>> All the examples I read so far have the same "problem": the entity is
>> included in local.yahoo.com too. Example: if I search for "gary danko san
>> francisco" I'll get a nice structured infobox about the Gary Danko
>> restaurant with overview, reviews, map, pics and so on; but that's because
>> that restaurant is also available in local.yahoo.com (and maybe added
>> manually) and not because <http://www.garydanko.com/>
>> http://www.garydanko.com/ provided RDFa, am I right?
>> Maybe other sites provide RDFa for that restaurant and they are the source
>> for local.yahoo.com? If yes, which sites for this example?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> E.

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  mhepp@computer.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
         http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Webcast:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Recipe for Yahoo SearcMonkey:
http://tr.im/rAbN

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://tinyurl.com/semtech-hepp

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://tinyurl.com/goodrelations-universe

Project page:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Resources for developers:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations

Tutorial materials:
CEC'09 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey
http://tr.im/grcec09