Re: Making human-friendly linked data pages more human-friendly

Matthias Samwald wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> These are good points, and I don't really disagree with any of them,
>> except perhaps in that I think that at the moment, data quality, a
>> sensible URI scheme, wide coverage, perception of stability, and
>
> Those are, in part, very difficult problems that the community has
> been working on for the last decade, and will be working on in the
> next few years. Of course, they are of primary importance. However,
> this does not mean that working on improving the human-readable
> interfaces for linked data resources will slow down any of these
> efforts. Indeed, I think improvements could be made with very little
> effort (if we compare it to the hundreds of man-years that are devoted
> into working on these other problems). DBpedia could be quickly
> improved by making use of the Wikipedia source pages. Pubby-derivate
> sites could be quickly improved by modifying the style sheet and
> perhaps adding some additional functionality. The investment of work
> is miniscule compared to the work that is devoted to some of the
> bigger problems.
But you can also make these changes in your data space, and even publish
them with DBpedia incorporation in mind. Resource wise, we need the
folks that are interested in presentation aesthetics to drink the
"Linked Data meme" kool aid: All you need is an HTTP URI, which is what
DBpedia and the rest of the Linked Data cloud offer in abundance.

>> proper marketing are more likely to determine the success of a
>> dataset  in attracting links
>
> I think that having good looking web pages to show to end-users and
> investors are a very important parts of proper marketing.
I think the SDQ of a Data Object URI is the key to its gravitational
pull :-)

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/161YDK - SDQ introduction post
2.