Re: The Power of Virtuoso Sponger Technology

Guys,
the Web of Data cannot rely on mass data crawling of the whole Web but
must combine cached data with federated on-demand queries. Structured
data requires much faster update cycles than typical text-based Web
indices. For example, Google and Yahoo can rely on the fact that
"http://www.cnn.com" is relevant for "news". Such will not change within
minutes. And both Google and Yahoo need up to several weeks to visit
your page again.

When it comes to structured price and availability information, your
data may become outdated within hours, if not seconds. Think of eBay
auctions, hotel or flight availability, etc.

So it will boil down to technology that combines (1) crawling and
caching rather stable data sets with (2) distributing queries and parts
of queries among the right SPARQL endpoints (whatever actual DB
technology they expose).

You can keep a text index of the whole Web, if crawling cycles in the
order of magnitude of weeks are fine. For structured, linked data that
exposes dynamic database content, "dumb" crawling and caching will not
scale.

If the DB technology is able to involve the right set of endpoints for
parts of the query, why would you need a complete replication of all
databases in the world inside one huge repository?

That repository will be a million-node cluster anyway. Why not directly
use the millions of nodes that provide the data and cache just the
endpoint meta-data?

Martin