Re: RDF Update Feeds

Georgi, Hugh,

>> Could be very simple by expressing: "Pull our update-stream once per
>> seconds/minute/hour in order to be *enough* up-to-date".

Ah, Georgi, I see. You seem to emphasise the quantitative side whereas I
just seem to want to flag what kind of source it is. I agree that  "Pull our
update-stream once per seconds/minute/hour in order to be *enough*
up-to-date" should be available, however I think that having the information
regular/irregular vs. how frequent the update should be made available as
well. My main use case is motivated from the LOD application-writing area. I
figured that I quite often have written code that essentially does the same:
based on the type of data-source it either gets a live copy of the data or
uses already local available data. Now, given that data set publisher would
declare the characteristics of their dataset in terms of dynamics, one could
write such a LOD cache quite easily, I guess, abstracting the necessary
steps and hence offering a reusable solution. I'll follow-up on this one
soon via a blog post with a concrete example.

My main question would be: what do we gain if we explicitly represent these
characteristics, compared to what HTTP provides in terms of caching [1]. One
might want to argue that the 'built-in' features are sort of too fine
granular and there is a need for a data-source-level solution.

> in our semantic sitemaps, and these suggestions seem very similar.
> Eg
> http://dotac.rkbexplorer.com/sitemap.xml
> (And I think these frequencies may correspond to "normal" sitemaps.)
> So a naïve approach, if you want RDF, would be to use something very similar
> (and simple).
> Of course I am probably known for my naivity, which is often misplaced.

Hugh, of course you're right (as often ;). Technically, this sort of
information ('changefreq') is available via sitemaps. Essentially, one could
lift this to RDF straight-forward, if desired. If you look closely to what I
propose, however, then you'll see that I aim at a sort of qualitative
description which could drive my LOD cache (along with the other information
I already have from the void:Dataset).

Now, before I continue to argue here on a purely theoretical level, lemme
implement a demo and come back once I have something to discuss ;)

Cheers,
      Michael

[1] http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec13.html

--