Re: Subjects & Tagging - Help?

From: Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 23:14:13 +0100
To: nathan@webr3.org
Cc: public-lod@w3.org
On Tuesday 3. November 2009 21:53:09 Nathan wrote:
> and.. sorry to keep asking!

Not at all! This is an interesting and important question, and you are
certainly not the only one who will face this problem.

> topics
>         Foreign relations of Iran
>         Science and technology in Iran
>         Iran  United States relations
>         Politics of Iran
>         Nuclear program of Iran
>         Enriched uranium
> people
>         Barack Obama
[...]

So, these are fairly broad topics, and this may (or may not), make it
somewhat easier on your side. I would like to point out that all the
categories of Wikipedia are modelled as skos:Concepts. If you are fortunate
enough to deal with only Wikipedia categories, I would do e.g.:

<http://yoursite.org/blog/he-could-do-it> dct:subject
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Category:Barack_Obama> .

In some cases, you may not have a good category, but I believe that in many
cases, it may be just as useful to say
<http://yoursite.org/blog/allah-rulez> dct:subject
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Category:Politics> ,
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Category:Iran> .
as a more specific category.

If not, then you may have to go into the extra complexity of CommonTag or
MOAT, which may indeed be necessary in some cases.

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo