Re: Subjects & Tagging - Help?

Hi Nathan,

On 3 Nov 2009, at 18:16, Nathan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Hoping for a little bit of guidance here on tagging & assigning
> subjects to content etc - I can't quite grasp how to describe what
> an item of content is about; particularly in the context of a normal
> blog post and with relation to tags/subjects/moat/commontag/scot etc.
>
> In short I've build a little mashup of a few services and some
> linked data which extracts terms & subjects from an item of content;
> and now I'm unclear of which ontologies to use.
>

> The info I can extract is "tag string" and mainly a dbpedia uri for
> the tag (to give it real meaning I guess)
>
> example..
> 	string:	Nuclear program of Iraq
> 	URI:	http://dbpedia.org/resource/Nuclear_program_of_Iran
>
> also bearing in mind that I'll typically have 5-10 of these per
> "post".
>
> On the face of it I'd assume I should be using the following for
> each "tag" and leaving the string literal value out of the triples
> altogether
> 	http://purl.org/dc/terms/subject
> 	http://www.holygoat.co.uk/owl/redwood/0.1/tags/taggedWithTag
>
> however, with MOAT/CommonTag/SCOT (and no doubt others) added in to
> the equation I'm totally lost as which is the most fitting and
> widely recognised for tagging content in this manner; is it worth
> adding something to say that it was automatically tagged by a
> machine? or including the string literal value of the tag(s)?

SCOT does not directly address the issue of 'tag meaning' but focus on
modeling tagclouds and making them interoperable.

MOAT and CommonTag serve the same general purpose (defining what tag
means, in terms of URIs) so you can use whatever you like - however,
CommonTag is indexed by SearchMonkey so that is a clearer advantage
for it and I'd then suggest to use that one if you develop an app on
the Web.

A few differences between them however so far (it may evolve in the
future, with ongoing work on CommonTag)

- CommonTag provides ways to make the difference between
ctag:AuthorTag, ctag:ReaderTag and ctag:AutoTag while MOAT just make
the difference between manual and auto-tag.
- MOAT models the "tagging action" (i.e. tri/quatri-partite model,
based on - and extending - the Tag Ontology) and 'global
meanings' (that can be used if you want to setup a tag server that
deliver URIs / meanings for each tags, e.g. in a company.)

Hope that helps,

Best,

Alex.

--