Re: Owning URIs (Was: Yet Another LOD cloud browser)

On 30/5/09 15:50, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> Danbri: have you had time to work on the generic faceted browsing spec
> we discussed a few weeks ago? Even a rough dump Wiki-style will do re.
> getting all interested parties engaged.

Nothing written up yet, but am just back from a digital libraries
conference
(http://www.slideshare.net/danbri/understanding-the-standards-gap) which
left me with a definite sense it's worth doing. And also that RDFesque
thinking is much more visible throughout the library scene than say 10
years ago (FRBR and related efforts). I'll try to bash something into
wiki or blog in next week or so...

Basic idea in a nutshell is that SPARQL is great for data access, but
there may be additional query-oriented data structures worth spec'ing
based around the set-oriented navigation very nicely articulated by
David Huynh in the Parallax screencast. And that if such a structure
could be exchanged between systems we could hope that the navigational
paradigm it supports could be found in various concrete UIs, and that
the results of exploring data this way could become useful and standard
artifacts in the public Web, rather than just bookmarks within some
specific system.

cheers,

Dan