Re: DBpedia user, who are you?

Davide Palmisano wrote:
> Georgi Kobilarov wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
> Dear folks,
>
> I'm Davide Palmisano, an Asemantics[1] senior researcher and I'm very
> pleased to reply to Georgi's questions.
>> I'm currently doing some planning for the future roadmap of DBpedia, and
>> therefore gathering requirements and use cases.
>>
>> So I'm wondering: - Who is using DBpedia today or has evaluated it in
>> the past,
>>
> Currently we are using DBPedia within two disjoint main scenarios.
>
> the first one is related to the EU project called NoTube[2] where we
> are planning to use DBpedia as a main knowledge core to build semantic
> web based user profiles in order to make personalized TV content
> recommendation. This is a research project mainly aimed to produce
> innovative algorithm for the content discovery.
>
> The second one, partly covered by an NDA so I cannot be more precise,
> is an ambitious project that we will present to the next SemWeb09
> called 99ways[3] where we are planning to make an intensive use of
> DBpedia. For example, we are currently making an autocompletion
> service that  taking as input a substring it returns a list of DBpedia
> URIs grouped by their most representative skos:subject. The way we are
> calculating the most representative skos:subject for each URI is the
> key point within the overall algorithm.
>> - What are you doing with it or how would you like to use it,
> oops, as the precedent one :)
>> - How would you like to see it evolve?
>>
> Grow, grow and grow! Jokes apart, the first real and important
> evolution that comes up in my mind is partially related to the uptime
> and to the scalability of the system. Improving the scalability of the
> SPARQL end point backend would be the key task to allow the resolution
> of very frequent and complex SPARQL queries.
Nice to get the very first response from you :-)

Increasing the scalability of the SPARQL endpoint is a function of:

1. Actual Virtuoso instance (we currently use the Single Server Open
Source Edition rather than the Commercial Cluster Server Edition)
2. Controls deliberately put in place on the server side to protect the
public endpoint e.g. queries generating large result sets etc..
3. Reality of Web Scale (the public endpoint is just that a free public
endpoint on the Web, you need a service specific variant for your varied
SLA type requirements hence the creation of DBpedia AMIs [1]).

Links:

1.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtEC2AMIDBpediaInstall
-- this is how you can set up your own service specific rendition of
DBpedia. There will be a Cluster Edition of this available very soon.

Kingsley
>> Especially interested in usage of DBpedia (and Linked Data) within
>> organizations or even commercial scenarios.
>> Please let me know, either on-list of off-list (and state in case you
>> don't want that information to be disclosed).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Georgi
>>
> all the best,
>
> Davide