Re: Example RDF linking species concepts to photo gallery RDF, Suggestions or Comments Appreciated

On 8/5/09 09:14, Toby A Inkster wrote:
> On 8 May 2009, at 01:30, Peter DeVries wrote:
>
>> With the except of the predicates speciesHasGallery, galleryHasSpecies.
>
> In <http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/72> Tim Berners-Lee writes:
>
>> On the other hand, also one should not encourage people having to
>> declare both a property and its inverse, which would simply double the
>> number of definitions out there, and give one more axis of arbitrary
>> variation in the way information is expressed.
>>

> In other words, there isn't really a need to define both
> speciesHasGallery *and* galleryHasSpecies. You only need one of them.
> I've fallen into the trap of defining inverse properties before and when
> it comes to actually working with the data (e.g. performing SPARQL
> queries), it ends up complicating things.

Yep. Historically, the asymetric nature of the RDF/XML serialization
made inverses somewhat necessary, at least when aesthetic considerations
were relevant to adoption. In fact some graphs (containing bnodes)
couldn't be written in pre-RDFCore RDF/XML, until we added rdf:nodeID to
the syntax. Even today, with rev="..." threatened in the HTML5 (re RDFa)
world, that issue hasn't quite gone away. This is why FOAF has
foaf:depiction and foaf:depicts, fwiw: some data is very image centric,
and mentions of a person are an "in passing" matter. Other data is very
person centric, and mention of images they're in is also something you
do "in passing". So we had a fair amount of pushback when the RDF/XML
required a whole separate top level element rather than a sub-element.
You're right it makes more work for aggregators though.

I've often thought of hacks like canonicalising on load, eg. by chosing
the alphabetically 1st one of the two inverses. But then I get to
thinking, ... couldn't the SPARQL engine just handle that.

So ... what's the state of play w.r.t. SPARQL systems having the smarts
to understand OWL inverse properties?

Dan