Re: vCard - Old vs. New?

Hi Richard,
Thanks - this is exactly the kind of substantiated counter-argument I
was hoping for ;-)

But seriously - we must minimize this confusion. A first necessary step
would be to complete the 2006 document - I just spent two hours
searching for examples of how the new vCard should exactly be used, and
I at least knew exactly what I was looking for. How much worse will the
same task be for someone from outside of the SW/LOD box?

Martin

Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> Martin,
>
> On 7 May 2009, at 07:51, Martin Hepp (UniBW) wrote:
>> (Due to the masses of "old" vCard data, it would not be prudent for
>> any data-consuming application to accept only "new" vCard data anyway
>> - see my SWOOGLE figures from the initial mail - 230,000 vs. 470
>> datasets - which implies that continuing to create "old"-style vCard
>> should be tolerable.)
>
> This is a questionable conclusion for several reasons.
>
> 1. AFAICT the data from Swoogle is outdated. I haven't heard any news
> from the project since 2007. Given that the new vCard-in-RDF work is
> from November 2006, these stats might be misleading, and the sites
> that Swoogle has indexed might have gone offline or changed to the new
> namespace.
>
> 2. FWIW, Sindice reports 12k documents using the old and 254k using
> the new one, but this is not comparable to the Swoogle numbers because
> many of the new hits are from hcard microformats (which Sindice maps
> into the new vCard namespace).
>
> 3. Pure document numbers say nothing about how "locked in" a standard
> is. The 230k documents that Swoogle reports might all come from a
> single site, and switching them all to a new namespace might be a
> five-minute thing. (99% of the use that Sindice sees for the old
> namespace is from Josh Tauberer's usgov dataset.)
>
> 4. Yahoo reports 1B+ hcard microformats on the Web. All
> microformat-to-RDF converters I'm aware of map them to the new
> namespace (e.g. any23, Swignition, SearchMonkey).
>
> I conclude that the old namespace is obsolete and should be ignored
> and avoided, in the interest of converging on a single namespace.
>
> Best,
> Richard
>

>> Or am I wrong in any of those points?
>>
>> Best
>> Martin
>>
>> PS: Research in the economics of standardization shows that the
>> migration to a new standard requires technology to reduce the
>> switching costs for everybody involved (at least users and
>> application developers). Otherwise, positive network externalities
>> for the established standard cause inertia that may eventually
>> prevent the broad adoption of the new standard. So just publishing a
>> new version may not be sufficient given the strong position of the
>> old vCard spec. We need conversion tools etc.
>>
>> Renato Iannella wrote:

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail: mhepp@computer.org
phone:  +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:    +49-(0)89-6004-4620
www:    http://www.unibw.de/ebusiness/ (group)
 	http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:  mfhepp

Check out the GoodRelations vocabulary for E-Commerce on the Web of Data!

Webcast explaining the Web of Data for E-Commerce:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Tool for registering your business:
----------------------------------
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/tools/goodrelations-annotator/

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://www.semanticuniverse.com/articles-semantic-web-based-e-commerce-webmasters-get-ready.html

Project page and resources for developers:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Upcoming events:
Full-day tutorial at ESWC 2009: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in One Day: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey

http://www.eswc2009.org/program-menu/tutorials/70

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009: Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology

http://www.semantic-conference.com/session/1881/