Re: vCard - Old vs. New?

Dear all:

 From the messages in the thread, I conclude that:

1. There is an actual problem.
2. There are good reasons to converge the two vCard variants for the
Semantic Web.
3. This will require additional discussion and work, both on the
technical and organizational side.
4. Until this will have happened, there is no rush to update existing
applications that create output using the old vCard specification. (Due
to the masses of "old" vCard data, it would not be prudent for any
data-consuming application to accept only "new" vCard data anyway - see
my SWOOGLE figures from the initial mail - 230,000 vs. 470 datasets -
which implies that continuing to create "old"-style vCard should be
tolerable.)

Or am I wrong in any of those points?

Best
Martin

PS: Research in the economics of standardization shows that the
migration to a new standard requires technology to reduce the switching
costs for everybody involved (at least users and application
developers). Otherwise, positive network externalities for the
established standard cause inertia that may eventually prevent the broad
adoption of the new standard. So just publishing a new version may not
be sufficient given the strong position of the old vCard spec. We need
conversion tools etc.

Renato Iannella wrote:

> On 7 May 2009, at 12:08, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>
>> Interestingly, it doesn't seem like this question has ever come up
>> before. If there were a Working Group with this in scope, it could
>> (following appropriate process) publish a new version at that same
>> location, but short of that, there's no handy solution. Harry and I
>> have talked about it, though, and will try to come up with something.

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail: mhepp@computer.org
phone:  +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:    +49-(0)89-6004-4620
www:    http://www.unibw.de/ebusiness/ (group)
 	http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:  mfhepp

Check out the GoodRelations vocabulary for E-Commerce on the Web of Data!

Webcast explaining the Web of Data for E-Commerce:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Tool for registering your business:
----------------------------------
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/tools/goodrelations-annotator/

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://www.semanticuniverse.com/articles-semantic-web-based-e-commerce-webmasters-get-ready.html

Project page and resources for developers:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Upcoming events:
Full-day tutorial at ESWC 2009: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in One Day: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey

http://www.eswc2009.org/program-menu/tutorials/70

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009: Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology

http://www.semantic-conference.com/session/1881/