Re: owl:sameAs links from OpenCyc to WordNet

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Jason Borro <jason@openguid.net> wrote:

> David,
>
> Sorry for missing this one earlier.  Yes indeed, OpenCyc's use of
> owl:sameAs caused me problems [1].
>
> Your proposed solution of openCyc:synsetDenotes is interesting.  If your
> goal is coreference, I would invite you to make use oguid:identical [2].

Although our initial instinct was to treat WordNet synset URIs not only as
coreferential, but as intensionally equivalent to the corresponding OpenCyc
terms (hence our use of owl:sameAs), the consensus appears to be that
synsets are lexical things, and bear only an indirect relationship to the
"real-world" things they denote.

>  Hundreds of questionable (in terms of coreference) links from OpenCyc to
> WordNet and DBPedia have been addressed in the OpenGUID database [3].  The
> data is in the public domain.

Excellent! If you can get me a complete list of these corrections (or a way
to access them in bulk myself), I'll look into including them in the next
OpenCyc release.

David