Re: looking for an event ontology/vocabulary

Richard Light wrote:
> Another ontology/vocabulary which is centred around events is the CIDOC
> CRM (Conceptual Reference Model). [1]  It is "a formal ontology intended
> to facilitate the integration, mediation and interchange of
> heterogeneous cultural heritage information", and comes out of the
> museums community. There is an OWL representation [2] which has been
> developed by a group at Erlangen-Nuremburg University.  It certainly
> doesn't lack definitions ;-)
>
> I would be interested to hear what Linked Data folks make of it as a
> potential framework for expressing more general event-related
> assertions, i.e. going beyond its stated scope.  I would also value a
> more expert opinion than my own as to whether the current expression of
> the CRM (either the OWL or RDF [3] version) is "fit for purpose" as a
> Linked Data ontology.

I'm certainly no expert. :-) But I think CIDOC-CRM in it's current RDF versions is a bit problematic from a Linked Data POV. The OWL representation [2] has the wrong content type (this is certainly something that can be fixed) and it doesn't have a stable namespace (the term URIs are all relative to the current OWL file). As far as I can see, the way the identifiers are built they cannot be abbreviated in Turtle either. And I'm not happy with the definition of inverse properties. I started manually converting the CRM into OWL (using some OWL 2 constructs like versionIRI and property chains as well) and under a stable purl.org namespace [4]. I'm not done with the properties yet but you can retrieve Turtle and RDF/XML versions and get an idea of what it looks like.

Regards,
  Simon

[4] http://purl.org/NET/cidoc-crm/core