Re: looking for an event ontology/vocabulary

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Richard
Light<richard@light.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Another ontology/vocabulary which is centred around events is the CIDOC CRM
> (Conceptual Reference Model). [1]  It is "a formal ontology intended to
> facilitate the integration, mediation and interchange of heterogeneous
> cultural heritage information", and comes out of the museums community.
> There is an OWL representation [2] which has been developed by a group at
> Erlangen-Nuremburg University.  It certainly doesn't lack definitions ;-)
>
> I would be interested to hear what Linked Data folks make of it as a
> potential framework for expressing more general event-related assertions,
> i.e. going beyond its stated scope.  I would also value a more expert
> opinion than my own as to whether the current expression of the CRM (either
> the OWL or RDF [3] version) is "fit for purpose" as a Linked Data ontology.

We discuss the CIDOC CRM extensively in our tech report, which I will
post a link to here as soon as it is available. I personally am of the
opinion that it is overengineered for Linked Data purposes. But I am
willing to be convinced otherwise. In any case, though the CIDOC spec
discusses historical events, I have been unable to find any examples
of people actually using it to model historical events (a recent post
to the CRM-SIG mailing list asking for examples turned up nothing).