Re: owl:sameAs [recipe]

On Jul 27, 2009, at 9:47 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

>>  3. In resources of etexts, include owl:sameAs links to DBpedia
>> resources
>
> As I pointed out before, these are not sameAs. The dbpedia resource
> are better understood as representing the expression, in the FRBR
> sense, and the link from expression to manifestation is not sameAs.
>

>> For example, the following resource descriptions:
>>
>> <!-- etext #1; points to local author and remote title -->
>> <rdf:RDF
>>  xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
>>  xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
>>  xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#"
> +  xmlns:frbr = "http://purl.org/vocab/frbr/core#"
>

>>  <rdf:Description
>>    rdf:about="http://infomotions.com/etexts/id/more-utopia-221"
>
> -    owl:sameAs="http://dbpedia.org/resource/Utopia_(book)">
> +   frbr:embodimentOf="http://dbpedia.org/resource/Utopia_(book)"
>>
> <
>
>>    <dcterms:title>Utopia</dcterms:title>
>>    <dcterms:creator
> - rdf:resource="http://infomotions.com/etexts/authors/resource/thomas-more
> " />
> + rdf:resource="http://dbpedia.org/resource/Thomas_More"/>
>>  </rdf:Description>
>
> <rdf:description rdf:about="http://infomotions.com/authors/page/thomas-more
> ">
>  <foaf:primaryTopic rdf:about="http://dbpedia.org/resource/
> Thomas_More">
> </rdf:Description>
>
>> </rdf:RDF>

Alan, thank you. You are correct. My local manifestation of Utopia by
Thomas More is not the same as the description of it on DBpedia. The
use of frbr:embodimentOf makes much more sense. So many vocabularies!

On the other hand, I desire to create a local "knowledge base"
representing the locally owned content as well as providing links to
the greater (Semantic) Web. That is why I desire to mint local URIs of
commonly held resources, such as Thomas More, and at the same time
link out to DBpedia. I desire to do this for two reasons. First, the
collection of electronic texts I curate is not randomly put together
but all surround a common set of themes. It is my hope that this
collection, its inter-relationships, and the software supporting it
will foster the creation of new and undiscovered knowledge or
insights. By minting my own URIs I can better demonstrate these
relationships. One of those relationships is, "These items authored by
Thomas More are all a part of the this particular domain and you will
be able to use the tools here to do your exploring." Another example,
I am using text mining techniques to automatically generate keywords
and phrases from texts. I plan to associated these keywords and
phrases with the texts as metadata, but also and common theme written
by authors. "This author often writes on these topics."

Second, less importantly, and probably nonsensically, I desire to
create a collection that is self-contained, possibly portable, and
usable even when other technologies are not available, such as the
network. If I solely rely on remote links/resources then I am less
able to make the collection self-contained. Call me an Internet
survivalist.  :-)

Finally, I sincerely appreciate the input. I would be silly to share a
recipe and not be willing to accept some criticism against it. Thank
you. This represents the strength of community.

--
Eric Lease Morgan