Re: owl:sameAs [recipe]

On Jul 25, 2009, at 5:09 AM, Bill Roberts wrote:

> Regarding linking to external resources, what it seems you want
> to do is to identify the dc:creator of the book, hence say that
> the creator is the person whose name was Thomas More. You could
> create your own URI and if you are managing a whole bunch of data
> about books and authors, then there could be reasons to do that,
> but in general if there is a satisfactory existing URI, it is
> preferable to use it. Dbpedia seems to have become the de facto
> standard...

Okay, then how's this for a recipe to create rich linked data of
electronic books and authors within my own site as well as to the
outside world:

   1. Mint URIs pointing to representations of local etexts
   2. Mint URIs pointing to representations of authors of local etexts

   3. In resources of etexts, include owl:sameAs links to DBpedia
resources
   4. In resources of etexts, point to local URIs of authors

   5. In resources of authors, include owl:sameAs links to DBpedia
resources
   6. In resources of authors, include owl:creatorOf links to local
etexts

   7. For extra credit, do the same thing for subjects/keywords

For example, the following resource descriptions:

<!-- etext #1; points to local author and remote title -->
<rdf:RDF
   xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
   xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#">
   <rdf:Description
     rdf:about="http://infomotions.com/etexts/id/more-utopia-221"
     owl:sameAs="http://dbpedia.org/resource/Utopia_(book)">
     <dcterms:title>Utopia</dcterms:title>
     <dcterms:creator rdf:resource="http://infomotions.com/etexts/authors/resource/thomas-more
" />
   </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

<!-- etext #2; points to local author and remote title -->
<rdf:RDF
   xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
   xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#">
   <rdf:Description
     rdf:about="http://infomotions.com/etexts/id/more-reality-404"
     owl:sameAs="http://dbpedia.org/resource/Reality_(book)">
     <dcterms:title>Reality</dcterms:title>
     <dcterms:creator rdf:resource="http://infomotions.com/etexts/authors/resource/thomas-more
" />
   </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

<!-- author; points to local etexts and remote author -->
<rdf:RDF
   xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#">
   <rdf:Description
     rdf:about="http://infomotions.com/etexts/authors/resource/thomas-more