Re: Merging Databases

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:23:48 +0100
To: Bernhard Schandl <bernhard.schandl@univie.ac.at>
Cc: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, Amrapali Zaveri <amrapali.zaveri@gmail.com>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>, Anja Jentzsch <anja@anjeve.de>, Susie Stephens <susie.stephens@gmail.com>
On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 19:52 +0300, Bernhard Schandl wrote:

> > I would say: Never assert sameAs. It's just too big a hammer.
> > Instead use a wider palette of relationships to connect entities
> > to other ones.
>
> which ones would you recommend?

skos:exactMatch = asserts that the two resources represent the same
concept, but does not assert that all triples containing the first
resource are necessarily true when the second resource is substituted
in.

skos:closeMatch = same as exact match, but slightly woolier.

owl:equivalentProperty = if {X equivalentProperty Y} and {A X B} then
{A Y B}. In other words, the properties can be used completely
interchangeably. But perhaps there are other important differences
between X and Y, such as their rdfs:label or rdfs:isDefinedBy.

owl:equivalentClass = if {X equivalentClass Y} then all Xs are Ys and
vice versa. Same dealy with ´╗┐owl:equivalentProperty really.

ovterms:similarTo = a general, all-purpose wimps' predicate. I use this
extensively.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>