Re: temporary URLs on Second Life

On 20/7/09 11:01, Danny Ayers wrote:
> "Second Life objects to become HTTP-aware" :
>
> http://www.massively.com/2009/07/08/second-life-objects-to-become-http-aware/
>
> cool, right? well not exactly, it uses shortlived-by-design URIs:
>
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_http_server

Well, we can't have it both ways.

Either we want everything of interest to have HTTP URIs.

Or we want all HTTP URIs to de-reference usefully forever.

But we won't easily get eternally-useful http URIs for everything useful
that has ever been plugged into the 'net.

Anyone building systems that assume otherwise is building something
rather fragile. There are a *lot* of data objects in secondlife...

cheers,

Dan