Re: "How to Publish Linked Data" vs "Cool URIs don't change"

From: Giovanni Tummarello <giovanni.tummarello@deri.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 20:39:01 +0100
To: Christopher St John <ckstjohn@gmail.com>
Cc: public-lod <public-lod@w3.org>
> Now, there's a legitimate balancing act between using the
> "don't depend on natural keys" best practice and minting
> Linked Data URLs that are amenable to pattern-based links,
> but for the most part doing things like including the word
> "Berlin" in a canonical URI is just asking for trouble in the
> long (200 year?) term (just ask the residents of Bombay)

I don't think its up for debate which kind of URI people want and CMS
and web publisher struggle to support.

to facilitate. for email, IM, printed use of URLs, gain trust of
whoever clicks etc. (if tweetter made more sense in the way the count
characters there would be no issue with short ones)

> front of a live (and well informed) audience, I wanted to
> do a sanity check.

Going again common sense and perception to "avoid potential trouble
200y ahead" IMO fails said check.
if some problem indeed arais with some URI i'd say just point to a
"disambiguation page" or "superceeded" or anything.

Cheers
Giovanni