Re: Content Negotiation and HTTP 303 Redirect Code Samples

Hi Kingsley,

2009/7/6 Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>:
> Tom Heath wrote:
>>
>> Great work Juan, thanks. The community owes you a beer or ten :)

>>> Juan / Tom,
>>>

>> Hi Kingsley,
>>

>>> Nice addition.
>>>

>> Thanks. Juan did the work, I just greased the wheels :)
>>

>>> Please make this an entry under "Guides & Tutorials". Otherwise, add a
>>> "How-To" section.
>>>

>> If someone wants to write a language-neutral guide to using these code
>> snippets that would be great, and would make a good entry in the
>> Guides and Tutorials section. Until then I'll leave the code samples
>> under Tools, as putting them under Guides without the guide bit would
>> probably only make the situation worse.
>>

> Okay, lets try: Linked Data Deployment utlilities or scripts.
>
> We are both seeking clarity.

No argument there! :)

The line above ("Linked Data Deployment utlilities or scripts"), is
this a suggestion for a new name for the
"conneg-303-redirect-code-samples" node?
If so then I think this fails the Ronseal [a] test. If could just as
easily refer to a shell script to post static file to a Web server.
Lets keep things specific for now. Either way, I'm not sure
"information architecture by mailing list" is fair on other list
members.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Does_exactly_what_it_says_on_the_tin

> Inadvertently conflating PHP scripts, Apache etc.. with the generic concept
> of "Linked Data Deployment" simply doesn't solve anything, really.
>>>
>>> Also, do clearly express that this is about "Linked Data Deployment"
>>> using Apache.
>>>

>> Is this actually the case? I would assume that the majority of the
>> code is reusable as-is on other web servers that support the language
>> in question, with just a small amount of porting required to adapt the
>> .htaccess specifics.
>>
> As you've stated: "..with just a small amount of porting required to adapt
> the .htaccess specifics." which implies inadvertent conflation.

I don't understand what the beef is here. Surely a note to the effect
that "some code samples describe deployment in an Apache environment
but may be applicable to other Web servers" would be adequate.

> Since these scripts are fundamentally about dealing with ".htaccess" simply
> make this crystal clear.

Fundamentally these scripts are dealing with content negotiation and
HTTP redirects. The thread may have emerged in response to .htaccess
recipes, but the principles are largely generic.

>>> Tom: I would also suggest inserting some RDFa into these pages i.e.
>>> enhance the page metadata.
>>>

>> Yes, this would be good. I'll find a moment to explore the RDF modules
>> for Drupal and take appropriate actions.
>>

> Okay, assuming you can't do this by hand short-term.

Afraid not, got far too much on to start hacking this by hand.

Cheers,

Tom.