Re: Granular dereferencing ( prop by prop ) using REST + LinkedData; Ideas?

On 1/4/09 9:28 AM, Yves Raimond wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> in the representation of :New_York, you still need a way to describe
>>> the fact that :morePersonsBornHere links to a document holding lots of
>>> :birthPlace properties. Just saying that :morePersonsBornHere
>>> rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:seeAlso won't do the job properly - how can
>>> you tell before retrieving the whole document?
>>
>> Yves, the proposal above addresses this. There would be a triple:
>>
>>    :birthPlace link:subjectListProperty :morePersonsBornHere .
>>
>> This triple can be either directly in the :New_York description, or
>> in the vocabulary (where you'd find it by dereferencing
>> :morePersonsBornHere).
>>
>> The triple tells clients that they should follow the
>> :morePersonsBornHere link if they are interested in :birthPlace
>> triples. So, autodiscovery is solved.
>>

> Yes, it does work, but only for simple property lists. What about
> "find here persons born in NYC between 1945 and 1975" ?
>

>>> But perhaps the approach I proposed when we discussed the void:example
>>> property could work, in exactly the same way as in [1].
>>>
>>> In the representation of :New_York, we could write something like
>>> (in N3):
>>>
>>> <http://example.org/persons_nyc.rdf> void:example { :al_pacino
>>> :birthPlace :New_York }.
>>
>> N3 formulae cannot be expressed in RDFa or RDF/XML. How would you
>> serialize this in practice?
>>

> As in the post I refered to: you can point to
> http://example.org/dataset-example.rdf where you put these example
> triples.
>

>>> Then, a SPARQL query like the following could find the documents that
>>> hold information about persons born in New York:
>>>
>>> SELECT ?doc
>>> WHERE {
>>> ?doc void:example ?g .
>>> GRAPH ?g {
>>> ?person :birthPlace :New_York .
>>> }
>>> }
>>>
>>> One of the good thing with this approach is that the "patterns" of
>>> information held in the target document can be arbitrarily complex -
>>
>> As far as I can remember, all the examples that people have given
>> could be addressed with a simple property-based approach. Has anyone
>> mentioned a use case that goes beyond looking for a single property?
>> If not, then what does the additional complexity of this proposal buy
>> us in practice?
>
> The example mentioned in my post uses more than one property, or the
> exampl above.
>

>> “This is good because it can deal with arbitrary complexity” is a
>> fallacy on the Web. Usually it translates as: “This is bad because it
>> makes the common case harder.”
>>
>> (I note that the situation here is different from what you described
>> in [1]. There it was about annotations on a dataset level. Here it is
>> about annotating links that occur within many or all individual
>> documents of a dataset.)
>>

> A RDF document is a dataset, and can be described as such :-)

Yves,

Just to clarify language (I do agree with your point). An RDF document
is a resource (of type/kind "information resource") and as a result --
like all "Things" -- it can be formally described via its attributes and
relationship properties :-)

Happy New Year!

Kingsley
> Cheers!
>
>> Best,
>> Richard
>>

>>> and the only thing you have to do is to provide an example RDF graph,
>>> holding something representative of what you put in that document.
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://blog.dbtune.org/post/2008/06/12/Describing-the-content-of-RDF-datasets

Kingsley Idehen       Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen