Re: Species Concept Mapping RDF fixes and question, should the species be represented as a class? Class SpeciesConcept => Class Species Cougar

Hi Leigh,

It is my understanding that Bob will be busy until the 20th, so his comments
might come later.

One of the issues that got me started on this was how to deal with data sets
where the same species is listed under different names.

For instance: Ochlerotatus triseriatus / Aedes triseriatus

I needed some sort of identifier that would be used to track the species,
not a human hypothesis of a particular species phylogeny.

In this case, the name change was the result of an elevation of the subgenus
Ochlerotatus to genus status, not a change in what specimens
were examples of the species.

Looking at the new TDWG example, these species concept classes seem to have
the original problem in that Ochlerotatus triseriatus and
Aedes triseriatus are different things with different superclasses?

Also I was under the impression it it best to avoid extensive hierarchies of
classes and subclasses?

I suspect that the TDWG hierarchies and the NCBI hierarchies will be
different.

In the GeoSpecies representation I used inFamily, inOrder, etc. to link a
species concept to the higher clades.

In this case the higher clades are "tag"s applied to a species and can be
ignored or tagged in your own way if needed.

It is not clear to me how to handle this in the taxonconcept.orgrepresentations.

Maybe there will be even more representations of species

It looks to me as if TDWG really wants to model species as a fully
phylogenetic representation, but ecologists and epidemiologists need a
representation that separates the idea that there is a species from the idea
that that species is it's current ephemeral phylogenetic hypothesis.

Maybe someone of the list has some ideas as to which representations are
best for these different use cases.

This has left me a bit puzzled. :-)

Thanks!

- Pete