Re: DBTropes.org, a TVTropes.org linked data wrapper

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Malte Kiesel <malte.kiesel@dfki.de> wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> Let me introduce dbtropes.org: http://dbtropes.org/resource/Main/TheMatrix
> http://dbtropes.org/resource/Main/RuleOfCool
>
> It's a tvtropes.org wrapper, providing lots of fun data - currently the
> wrapper knows about 1700+ movies and 2500+ tropes/features AFAIR.
>
> Some further info can be found on http://dbtropes.org/ .

Ah, this is great! :) Nice work!

I started to poke around the site, thinking it would be nice to
express the tropes as SKOS concepts in a kind of chaotic thesaurus.

Scenario I had mind:

1. User is watching TV on some scriptably remote-controllable platform
(Web video, media centre eg. xbmc/plex/boxee, etc.

2. User pauses the video using a widget in their smartphone

3. Player responds by passing the remote control app description of
current play state (eg. "we're 34 seconds into the show identified by
... (then imdb/bbc/etc URIs)"

4. Remote control UI offers user chance to tag that particular moment
in the show, eg. from infomration we have about the show, brand,
series etc., or from fun things like tvtropes / dbtropes. So if your
show had some instance of a particular trope / cliche / pattern, you
could tag the exact part of the show.

5. User annotation is published in the network somewhere (atompub,
annotea, whatever...).

Anyway, enough about my dayjob!

But ... did you consider expressing the tropes/features using SKOS? do
they form a simple hierarchy somehow?

cheers,

Dan