Re: Introducing BOLD (Business Of Linked Data) Discussion Space

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> A while back there was a request (by Aldo Bucchi, I believe) for a more
> business and marketing oriented discussion space re. Linked Data. The need
> for what Aldo requested has remained, but nothing every came of his request.
> Thus, I've opened up a Google discussion space for this very purpose, called
> BOLD [1] :-)

Excellent Kingsley!
I think we're all running into this space now. Meeting with customers
and having to come up with "pitches" that are both
* Attractive enough to compete with current established technologies
* Grounded in practical reality ( it is easy to fall into the
snake-oil side of things when talking about the future )

In my experience this has been very hard but its getting easier thanks
to the amount of technology and "showcases" ( in particuar, DBpedia
and the rest of the LOD setup as well as the many consultants and
other vendors that are emerging ).

Also, and this is to Kingsley's credit. Having Virtuoso has been
unvaluable in terms of being able to relate to something with built-in
prestige. It is quite different to say:
- This is the future
Than to say
- This tool here, which has a proven track record and looks like
something you understand ( a database ), allows you to do this and
that. And I can show you.

> In retrospect, this discussion space should have been created much earlier;
> especially, as messaging surrounding Linked Data remains challenging esp.
> with those outside the core Semantic Web community.
>
> Anyway, if you are more interested in the business and marketing aspects of
> HTTP based Linked Data, you now have a space for open discussion and
> brainstorming.

Let's get it on!

( I have linkeddata.biz BTW and was going to do something on this
line. But, as usual, Kingsley "speedy" Idehen beat me to it ;).

PS: I copy this email to the BOLD list and if you read carefully I
already stated a few core interesting points out of my own experience
living *and surviving* by selling Linked Data Only projects and I
would love to start a debate on that.

--
Aldo Bucchi
skype:aldo.bucchi

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
This message is only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If
you are not the intended recipient, please do not distribute or copy this
communication, by e-mail or otherwise. Instead, please notify us immediately by
return e-mail.