Re: [tdwg-tag] Differences in thinking between TDWG and LinkedData groups about data sharing / integration

Respectfully,
1) Only certain classes of organizations will be able to contribute since
the standard is requires special skills. Those groups that can pay for
hardware and
    a person specific to this standard for perpetuity. I look at this and
think that a number of groups that could be providers cannot because of the
way the
    system is implemented. Why not have a simple RDF tar or zip file format
that GBIF checks with a crawler every night?

2) There is very little reuse of existing vocabularies, geo for instance.
Similar to the "not invented here mentality".

3) Discussions and decisions seem to be too much about making sure that
providers keep their "brand" on the data even if they disappear.

4) Suggestions or alternative ways of thinking are rejected until an insider
restates them without attribution

5) It is not at all clear how some of these decisions are made. It appears
as if some people disagree, there is discussion. Then years later there is
    the same discussion. It seems that some smaller group keeps pulling
everyone back to the same architectural decision.

6) Where are the example data sets? We should have some example data sets
available to see if the standard can be used to answer real questions?
    Either they don't exist or they are only available to a few.

I actually have nothing but praise for GBIF and uBio (except for the minor
encoding thing), this more about trying to work within TDWG and getting
stonewalled. I am having the same feelings about it that I had a few years
ago, after which I left to try to make something that worked so I could
proceed with my project.

It probably was unfair to imply that the fiefdoms are by design, rather than
a side effect of the implementation standards, and for that I apologize.

- Pete