Re: "humane" query editors for the data web?

David Huynh wrote:
> Thanks for the link, Juan.
>
> Just curious, even if I know SPARQL, how do I (as a new user) know
> which properties and types there are in the data? And what URIs to use
> for what?
David,

Not speaking for Jaun, but seeking to answer the question you posed.

Our iSPARQL interface takes the view that:

1. You lookup vocabularies and ontologies of interest before
constructing triple patterns since the terms need to come from somewhere
2. You then you use the ontology/vocabulary tree to drag and drop
classes over Subject  and Object nodes
3. Do the same thing re. properties by selecting them and dropping them
over the connectors (predicates)
4. Repeat the above until you've completely painted an SPO graph of what
you seek.

BTW - the pattern in steps 2-4 above originated from RDF Author, and we
simply adopted it for SPARQL (following a skype session I had with
Danbri years ago re. the need for SPARQL QBE). Note: RDF Author allowed
you to write Triples directly into RDF information resources via their
URLs. Which means the same UI works fine for SPARUL (writing to Quad
Store via its internal Graph IRI or Web Information Resource URL).

Links:

1.  http://rdfweb.org/people/damian/RDFAuthor/Tutorial/ -- RDF Author

Kingsley

> David
>
> Juan Sequeda wrote:
>> You may want to check out a tool that we are working on: SQUIN
>>
>> http://squin.informatik.hu-berlin.de/SQUIN/
>>
>> Juan Sequeda, Ph.D Student
>> Dept. of Computer Sciences
>> The University of Texas at Austin
>> www.juansequeda.com <http://www.juansequeda.com>
>> www.semanticwebaustin.org <http://www.semanticwebaustin.org>
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 9:18 PM, David Huynh <dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu
>> <mailto:dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi all,
>>
>>     Admittedly this is somewhat of a tease and shameless
>>     self-promotion :-) but I think there are a few interesting
>>     concepts in the query editor for Freebase that I've been working
>>     on that can be very useful for querying and consuming LOD data sets:
>>
>>       http://www.freebase.com/app/queryeditor/about
>>
>>     Or maybe I missed it totally--is there anything similar for
>>     writing SPARQL queries over LOD?
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>
>>     David

President & CEO