AW: sanity checking the LOD Cloud statistics - Please add the statistics for your dataset to the Wiki

Hi Ted,

good that you raise this topic.

The statistics were added to the wiki by Anja and reflect her
knowledge/guesses about the size of the datasets and the numbers of links
between them. And of course, some of her guesses might be wrong.

In an ideal world, these statistics would be provided by Semantic Web search
engines that crawl the cloud and calculate the statistics afterwards based
on what they actually got from the Web. Alternatively, all dataset providers
could publish Void descriptions of their datasets which could also be used
to generate the statistics.

But as the search engines have not yet reached this point and as Void is
also not used by all data providers, we thought it would be useful to put
these statistics as a starting point into the Wiki so that people
(especially data set publishers) can update them and we can use them when we
draw the LOD cloud the next time.

I have updated the statistics about outgoing links connecting DBpedia with
other datasets yesterday.

If everybody on this list would do the same for the data sources they
maintain/use, I think we will get a much more accurate LOD diagram the next
time we draw it.

So, please: Take 5 minutes and quickly add the actual statistics about your
datasets to

http://esw.w3.org/topic/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData/DataSet
s/Statistics
(size of your dataset)

http://esw.w3.org/topic/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData/DataSet
s/LinkStatistics
(number of links connecting your dataset with other datasets)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers

Chris