Re: Drilling into the LOD Cloud

Dan Brickley wrote:
> Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>>
>> Ed Summers wrote:

>>> That sounds like a great idea for a service. Right now I just need a
>>> little diagram that illustrates the links between resources in the LOD
>>> cloud; and the diversity of descriptions from each provider. But, I
>>> guess I should stop begging on here, and just create it eh?
>>>
>>> Thanks for the feedback,
>>> //Ed
>>>

>> Ed,
>>
>> Are you not able to add additional "rdf:type" links between DBpedia
>> and the following:
>>
>> 1. Yago
>> 2. OpenCyc
>> 3. UMBEL
>>
>> Then between UMBEL and OpenCyc:
>>
>> 1. owl:sameAs
>> 2. owl:equivalentClass
>
> If these thingies are owl:sameAs, then presumably they have same
> IP-related characteristics, owners, creation dates etc?
>
> Does that mean Cycorp owns UMBEL?
Dan,

No, it implies that in the UMBEL data space you have equivalence between
Classes used to define UMBEL subject concepts (subject matter entities)
and OpenCyc.

Simple examples via SPARQL against DBpedia using the SPARQL endpoint:
<http://dbpedia.org/sparql> :

-- Get DBpedia Entities of Type opencyc:Motorcycle where the
dbpedia:name contains pattern: "BMW"

define input:inference 'http://dbpedia.org/resource/inference/rules/umbel#'
prefix umbel: <http://umbel.org/umbel/sc/>
prefix dbpedia: <http://dbpedia.org/property/>
prefix opencyc: <http://sw.opencyc.org/2008/06/10/concept/en/>
select ?s
where
{
 ?s a opencyc:Motorcycle.
 ?s dbpedia:name ?n.
 ?n bif:contains "BMW".
}

-- Get DBpedia Entities of Type umbel:Motorcycle where the dbpedia:name
contains pattern: "BMW"

define input:inference 'http://dbpedia.org/resource/inference/rules/umbel#'
prefix umbel: <http://umbel.org/umbel/sc/>
prefix dbpedia: <http://dbpedia.org/property/>
prefix opencyc: <http://sw.opencyc.org/2008/06/10/concept/en/>
select ?s
where
{
 ?s a umbel:Motorcycle.
 ?s dbpedia:name ?n.
 ?n bif:contains "BMW".
}

Both queries return the same results even though in DBpedia you only
have entities of type "umbel:Motorcycle" as shown here:
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/BMW_R75> .

Courtesy of UMBEL and UMBEL inference rules applied to DBpedia, we can
now expand the scope of existing DBpedia entities by exploiting
relationships that exist across the Classes exposed via "rdf:type".
Thus, via "rdf:type" we are able to cross over from the instance realm
to the data dictionary realm, and once in the data dictionary realm
expand our horizons  via  class level relationships  covering
equivalence and the broader and narrower transitive relationships in the
Class Hierarchy.

So OpenCyc doesn't own UMBEL, it is simply associated with UMBEL by
being part of the data dictionary oriented Linked Data Space that UMBEL
delivers :-)

Kingsley

>> Then between OpenCyc and Wordnet:
>> 1. owl:sameAs