Re: Size matters -- How big is the danged thing

From: Giovanni Tummarello <giovanni.tummarello@deri.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 03:26:15 +0000
To: "Sören Auer" <auer@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
Cc: "Matthias Samwald" <samwald@gmx.at>, "Jim Hendler" <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>, public-lod@w3.org

Hi

> when people liked to draw maps of the WWW, and these really quickly
> disappeared when it got big. I hope that happens to the Data Web, too.
> Hopefully soon. But my current estimate is that the Data Web is probably

This has happened already, for the Data Web as in Microformat world
and likely embedded RDFa.

each day there are i'd say at least 200-300k to a million pages with
microformats embedded on them (just think upcoming.org, last.fm ,
eventful.com (great microformats for each new even, several tens of
thousands new events per day) + hundreds / thousands of new sites
(e.g. installation of wordpress plugins) which support some degree of
web of data.

I mean just check the diversity..
http://sindice.com/search?q=format%3AMICROFORMAT&qt=term

(and we have so little microformats admittedly becouse we have so far
just crawler "width first")

As you say, people used to publish these sites on the microformat.org
website but they dont bother anymore. There are reasons to publish
this data (several useful plugins, search monkey eyc) , publishing
this data is infinitely easier than messing with 303s and such.. and
the use cases for search engine optimization (E.g. for finding events
"tomorrow in dublin" see our silly demo
http://sindice.com:8080/microformat-search/  try searching for "miami"
to see multiple sources e.g. yahoo and lastfm merged togher on the
map) are clear.

Giovanni