Re: Using Linking Open Data datasets

2008/5/30 Jun Zhao <jun.zhao@zoo.ox.ac.uk>:
> Hello Michael,
> Hausenblas, Michael wrote:
>> Dear LODers,
>>
>> One thing we encounter recurrently when using the LOD datasets is where
>> to 'start best'. I'm unsure how to handle this situation, so I tried to
>> gather some issues along with a simple proposal how to deal with it
>> (called MetaLOD) at [1]. The idea basically is to develop a vocabulary
>> and gather information 'about' the LOD datasets, such as 'at Geonames
>> you get location-based information', etc.
>>

> This looks very interesting. And I desperately share your needs, i.e.
> looking for the data to link to.
>
> I am also thinking about rdfs:seeAlso, and something like skos:related,
> skos:broader or skos:narrower.
>
> A snip showing how I could use your structure to describe our data:
>
> :LODataset a rdfs:Class ;
>           rdfs:label "a LOD dataset" .
>
> set:DBpedia a :LODataset ;            owl:sameAs <http://dbpedia.org/> .
>
> set:Geonames a :LODataset ;             owl:sameAs
> <http://sws.geonames.org/> ;
>             foaf:topic
> <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Location_%28geography%29> .
>
> set:flyted a :LODataset ;             owl:sameAs
> <http://www.fly-ted.org/sparql> ;
>             foaf:topic <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Biology> ;
>             foaf:topic <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Drosophila> ;
>              foaf:topic <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Image> ;
>             rdfs:seeAlso <http://spade.lbl.gov:2021/> ;
>             skos;related <http://spade.lbl.gov:2021/> ;
>             skos:narrower <http://dbpedia.org/> .
>
>  What do you think?

It is a very good idea IMO to start putting sparql endpoints into RDF
descriptions of datasets. If you also indicate a typical triple
pattern that can be found at that endpoint/graph tuple you instantly
enable basic distributed sparql based on SPARQL GRAPH, where you
derive the information from a markup and not the expertise of the
querier.

I think providing descriptions at the level of each SPARQL named graph
available at different endpoints is appropriate if people use GRAPHS
for macroscopic categorisation and not use a different graph for each
URI they loaded for instance. I know there is no standard governing
the use of SPARQL GRAPH's but it would be nice to have at least large
blobs available where you are most likely to find data matching a
triple pattern, whether it be DARQ's predicate idea (bad IMO) or some
combination of predicates with subjects and objects.

Linking topics up to each of these graphs via a widely available
resource is a good idea. Maintaining this list on a semantic wiki, or
autogenerating it based on multiple semantic wiki pages would be quite
nice, using template imports for instance, would be nice.

Cheers,

Peter