Re: Linked Data in blog post from TimBL about Semantic Web in the news

Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> Kingsley,
>
> On 28 Mar 2008, at 11:50, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> As for the quest for the killer application, I remain of the opinion
>> that "Linked Data" via de-referencable URIs is the killer application
>> of the Semantic Web vision. Just as "Linked Documents" via
>> de-referencable URLs is the killer application of the Document Web.
>
> I agree that linked data is the killer technical capability of the
> Semantic Web.
>
> I disagree strongly about linked data being a "killer app".
That's fine, but I believe differently.

In my realm of comprehension (and experience) Linked Data is the "killer
application" and exploitation of  HTTP for the long standing challenge
of distributed data object referencing.

> Linked data is not an application. It's one of several technical
> capabilities offered by the Semantic Web technology stack. The
> capabilities *enable* applications. But they *are* not applications.
You are completely entitled to your opinion. You realm or perception and
comprehension cannot mirror mine for a myriad of reasons, starting with
the fundamental fact that we are individuals endowed with reasoning
capability. We aren't cognition challenged robots :-)

The one great thing about the Web is the ability to discover and
participate in discourse. We have no monopoly over facts or truths, we
simply have relative context, perception, and comprehension that
ultimately leads to richer discourse.

Is TCP/IP an application to you? Is Hyper-linking an application to you?
More than likely not if the Web is your context for determining what an
application is.

> Don't mistake your toolbox for your product or service.
>
> The question how to bring linked data to the end user, be it in a
> corporate or web environment, has still not been successfully
> answered. The killer app is somewhere around there.
I do know the difference between a "killer application" and a "killer
user application".  But how does "killer app." explicity imply either
without the discourse emerging right now?

As for the "killer user application" of the Semantic Web, by this I mean
the game changing solution that delivers the "Aha! Moment"  I think we
shall all find that out in due course :-)

Kingsley

> Richard
>

>> Most importantly, Tim reminded everyone that the Document Web and the
>> Semantic Web are mutually inclusive aspects of a single World Wide
>> Web :-)
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Kingsley Idehen          Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen