Re: bbc-programmes.dyndns.org

On 22 Jun 2008, at 11:52, Simon Reinhardt wrote:
>> I think it would be best to implement the mechanism described here:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#hashuri
>> This would mean:
>> <b00b07kw#episode> is the thing
>> <b00b07kw.rdf> is the RDF variant
>> <b00b07kw.html> is the HTML variant
>> <b00b07kw> is a generic, content-negotiated document; it serves the
>> right variant directly, without any redirect, and gives the URI of
>> the selected variant in the Content-Location header.
>
> I suppose it's not a popular view anymore because that document has
> an official status now, but there's still the problem with #episode
> denoting an element in the HTML variant.

We discussed this quite a bit with the TAG before finalizing the Cool
URIs document, and the TAG insisted it's the right thing to do.

> Either you do have an element with that ID there, then #episode
> denotes both a thing and an HTML element.

Which is bad and should be avoided. Don't put an id="episode" into the
HTML.

> Or you don't have it, then this would be regarded as broken HTML.

Well, not really. The HTML is not broken, it's perfectly fine. The
perceived issue is that *the RDF* references a fragment that is not
defined *in the HTML*.

> Maybe that's just a theoretical issue which can simply be ignored
> for pragmatism.

I think so. Although some of the relevant specs (e.g. the URI RFC and
the HTML MIME type registration) might benefit from some clarifications.

Best,
Richard