Re: fans of Linked Open Data and the NFL, NHL, or Major League Baseball?

Bob DuCharme wrote:

> One thing missing from Richard Cygniak's "Linking Open Data Set Cloud"
> interactive diagram at http://richard.cyganiak.de/2007/10/lod/ (which
> every other presentation at Linked Data Planet included in their
> slides) is some sports data.
>
> If people are arguing about numbers in a bar anywhere in the world,
> it's probably sports-related numbers, and open sports data that anyone
> can query and manipulate would be a great contribution to the LOD
> movement. I emailed an old New York XML friend, Alan Karben (founder
> of http://www.xmlteam.com), to ask about publicly available sports
> data, and he pointed me to http://www.sportsstandards.org/oc.
>
> For now, the NHL link is broken, and I've mentioned this to him.
> Meanwhile, there are apparently some organized efforts to make large
> amounts of NFL and Major League Baseball data available to the public,
> so it would be a nice project for anyone who's a big fan of LOD and
> one of these sports to work toward creating a SPARQL endpoint for one
> of these data sets.
>
> As http://www.sportsstandards.org/oc makes clear, they'd be more than
> happy to publicize data-gathering efforts for other sports.
>
> Bob DuCharme
> www.snee.com/bobdc.blog

Bob,

Great point!

Linked Data is ultimately about giving everyone the ability to conduct,
and share,  their own data analysis :-)  We call this: Analysis for All!

Today we have ESPN and co. offering analysis via the traditional one-way
TV medium. Tomorrow, I envisage a conversation space connected by
analytic insights from "Joe Public" the analyst.  Also, what's good for
sports applies to Politics, Finance, Soap Operas, and other realms.

Blogging gave us the "Citizen Blogger" and I expect Linked Data to give
us the "Citizen Analyst" :-)

President & CEO