Re: rdf AND rdf-a?

Michael -

Adding to what Kingsley said, it's helpful to add RDFa syntax to your
existing HTML display layer.  While not the panacea, it's a good stepping
stone for nascent "mesh-up" developers to grok.

For example, if an existing app is already grabbing and parsing the HTML
(even if you've banned microformats, there're other similar declaration
inferences), it's a relatively straight forward step to add some RDFa
handling rules into the mix.  Otherwise, relying entirely on a richer RDF
representation might require an additional step (which might require a
longer development cycle).

Assuming it's reasonable to want Yahoo et al. to index your markup, RDFa is
probably a good thing to do from an SEO perspective anyway.  If you're
doing that, you've probably settled on the namespaces anyway.  In that
case, it's also an added benefit to rapid prototypers in your own company
in addition to the mesh hackers building against the concepts.

 From my experience, whenever data handlers are baked into the display
layer, I assume there's a measurable probability the HTML jockey's are
going to muck it up.  A reasonable way around that is through the clever
use of XSL for the layout handling.  In that case, the output files are
handled by the core engineers, while the display is prettied up by the
style crew.  Good separation there.

Thoughts from the edge,
Trent

J. Trent Adams