Re: More ESWC 2008 Linked Data Playground

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 4:33 PM, David Huynh <dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> Thank you for your detailed reply! I'm glad there is tremendous progress
> toward a platform for conference metadata. And I applaud such an effort and
> everyone involved.
>
> You said, "a task which requires additional resources is less likely to be
> pursued." May I suggest a different observation: "a task that has no
> immediate, personal benefit, or instant gratification, is less likely to be
> pursued." Whether you add that <link rel="alternate"> makes no observable
> difference to anyone, including yourself, who has just a standard web
> browser. Humans are known to generally optimize for short-term, personal
> gains over long-term prospects for humanity. So, why expend the effort to
> add that line of HTML code? Am I making sense to you?
>
> If we look at this problem from a "return on investment" point of view, then
> your suggestion for "remove as many barriers as possible" is about lowering
> the investment--which I totally agree. My suggestion is about increasing the
> return from "no observable difference" to "some observable difference". I
> was simply wondering what people on this mailing list have done to achieve
> "some observable difference," that's all.

Yes, there is a definite lack of incentive to publish structured data.
It all comes down to the fact that generation and consumption are now
totally dissociated.

In the HTML world, the publisher provides the UI, and therefore the
context in which data is consumed. This allows for a straighforward
way to exploit the generated attention upon consumption time: Ads,
self-promotion, socialization ( comments ), etc.

This is, from my POV, the most underlooked aspect of the Semweb (
please correct me if I am wrong ). Alas, it is not one that we can
design upfront. Social dynamics and economics will define, in the long
term, the semantic data value chains.

Any pointers on this topic?

--
:::: Aldo Bucchi ::::