Re: Granular dereferencing ( prop by prop ) using REST + LinkedData; Ideas?

Andraz Tori wrote:
> Approach from MusicBrainz is interesting where they basically provide a
> way to express how deep structure should be returned by simply adding
> another part (a number) to main url.

This was in the old web service and regarded as not flexible enough. In the new one there's an "inc" query parameter [1] that is a list of certain keywords which trigger additional information to be added to the result. This is indeed very similar to the idea of listing the properties in a query parameter. But I think I prefer dissecting the data set into resources which contain concise bounded descriptions or something similar - the client can get more information by following links if it wants (at the cost of more requests to the server - a balance has to be found for what to include into the main document). Again, it depends if you expect generalised clients or clients geared towards your service. :-)

Regards,
  Simon

[1] http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/XMLWebService#head-6aa48f1434a4f1f1ba0ced77e24a43a519cee308