Re: Granular dereferencing ( prop by prop ) using REST + LinkedData; Ideas?

Hi Peter,

( reply inlined )

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/12/30 Aldo Bucchi <aldo.bucchi@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am in the process of LODing a dataset in which certain properties
>> are generated on the fly ( props derived from aggregate calculations
>> over the dataset, remote calls, etc ). I would like to let the clients
>> choose which of these expensive properties they need on demand and on
>> a granular level.
>>
>> For example, lets say I am interested in knowing more about resource
>> <http://ex.com/a>.
>> Per LD conventions, dereferencing http://ex.com/a ( via 303 ) returns
>>
>> <http://ex.com/a> a ex:Thing ;
>>  rdfs:label "a sample dynamic resource";
>>  ex:dynamic1 45567 .
>
> If you are expecting the value to always be directly integrated as a
> plain literal you either put it in or you don't. If you are willing to
> say that it doesn't have to be a literal you can make it
> "ex:dynamicUri1 <http://ex.com/dynamic1/a>" or some similar way to
> allow them to resolve that URI that if they recognise the predicate,
> but ignore it and hence ignore the computation otherwise.
>
> LD conventions don't say that properties always have to be directly
> attributed to their elements. Having the URI link to another RDF
> document, even for literals fits all the guidelines as far as I can
> see.

Sorry, I am a bit slow today ;)

How would you make this work for literals?

if you say

<http://ex.com/a> ex:dynamic1 <http://ex.com/dynamic1/a> .

Then you are stating the value for the dynamic1 predicate. If it is a
literal I don't see how you can retract the latter statement and
replace it by whatever statement you get when dereferencing the URI.
What do you mean with:

> LD conventions don't say that properties always have to be directly
> attributed to their elements. Having the URI link to another RDF
> document, even for literals fits all the guidelines as far as I can
> see.

Of course this does work for resources ( hmm... it is the basis of
Linked Data ;).

By reading your reply I somehow remembered I once overhauled seeAlso
so I could do stuff like this, by creating an nary relation where a
one or more predicates are associated with a document.

<http://ex.com/a> foo:seeAlso [ foo:doc <http://ex.com/dynamic1/a>;
foo:predicate ex:dynamic1, ex:dynamic2  ] .

Of course many variations like the latter are possible.

> Cheers,
>
> Peter

Best,

Aldo Bucchi
U N I V R Z
Office: +56 2 795 4532
Mobile:+56 9 7623 8653
skype:aldo.bucchi
http://www.univrz.com/
http://aldobucchi.com

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
This message is only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If
you are not the intended recipient, please do not distribute or copy this
communication, by e-mail or otherwise. Instead, please notify us immediately by
return e-mail.
INFORMACIÓN PRIVILEGIADA Y CONFIDENCIAL
Este mensaje está destinado sólo a la persona u organización al cual está
dirigido y podría contener información privilegiada y confidencial. Si usted no
es el destinatario, por favor no distribuya ni copie esta comunicación, por
email o por otra vía. Por el contrario, por favor notifíquenos inmediatamente
vía e-mail.