Re: Zemanta API: from text to LOD

Andraz Tori wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am Andraz Tori, CTO at Zemanta. This is my first post to this list.
> I've read the discussion about commercial announcements just a day ago,
> so I hope this this announcement is relevant enough albeit it comes from
> a for-profit company.

Welcome!

Relevant!

Please feel at home :-)
> I'd like to announce that Zemanta today launched a semantic API that is
> able to take plain text and disambiguate most important entities found
> to their meanings in Linking Open Data (currently dbPedia, MusicBrainz,
> Semantic CrunchBase and Freebase).

I can't find the API itself or API demos.

I've seen your illustrations etc..
> As far as we know this is first such undertaking of this scale.

Not necessarily, but being first doesn't matter, it's the value
delivered that is ultimately the key factor (imho) :-)
> API is free to use up to 10k calls per day (default limit is 1k, email
> needs to be sent to raise it). Response can be in XML, JSON or RDF/XML.

> Developer info can be found at http://developer.zemanta.com and less
> technical explanations at http://www.zemanta.com/api
>
> I am very interested if this will make any new types of Mashups happen

I would say potentially interesting meshups with the output of other
Linked Data aware services, for instance. Everything meshes with
everything in this realm once the essence is understood.
> Also I am interested in feedback on RDF/XML format/ontology.
>
> I see ourselves a bit like a stargate portal from unstructured text into
> the LOD, enabling LOD to be used in broader number of situations.
>
> Comments welcome :)

Please send a link to a page that provides sample Linked Data example.

Also clarify if you offer a REST style service as I only see your
language specific APIs in your document web collective re. APIs etc..

I am assuming you offer something that works like this:

1. You receive a chunk of blurb as input
2. You analyze (where extraction and disambiguation occurs)
3. Return an RDF Linked Data graph in one or more formats as part of you
output

Kingsley Idehen       Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
President & CEO