Re: Re[4]: The next Internet giant: linking open data, providing open access to repositories

Shavkat,

The problem Google will still be facing that they will never have the resources to be everything to everybody and provide everything to everybody.

And the beauty of e.g. open source software is that a start-up with adequate funding and user community support and backing can upset even the most robust business models.

Google will have the advantage of having the deepest pockets for now, but wasn't it Google that announced this week it was divesting itself of hundreds of pet projects and concentrating on core business and revenue streams (in advertising).

One of the reasons is the fact that we will see advertising online change in ways not seen before, and actors enter the market which are not necessarily commercial in set-up.

The financial crisis worldwide has sent giving to charity worldwide into a nosedive.

A sizable portion of people in the western world is employed by non-profits, e.g. in the Netherlands it is around 4% of the labor force, and revenue generation for non-profits is becoming a new booming business, and non-profits are at the forefront of inventing new ways of revenue generation in an open access, open source software, open license environment.

ICT in a non-profit setting is becoming a global issue, and a sizable portion of non-profits is looking to the internet as an avenue for revenue generation.

Obviously the single most important assets they can sell are expertise, knowledge and licensing  for technologies and products.

In this context semantic web technologies become important and also the issue of "search and find", which incidentally is what the joined project our organization with Ekolibrium proposed for sustainable development worldwide, is all about.

What is important not to overlook is the fact that ICT project funding for non-profits is on the rise and soon some of this funding could rival the R&D budgets of major IT companies in specific areas of technology.

And unfortunately for Google non-profits can not be bought and incorporated into their corporate body.

I know what I am talking about, I am Dutch and the Dutch invented the fiscal infrastructure whereby non-profits can control vast commercial holdings generating large amounts of money plowed back into the non-profits.

All I can see is that the future is not as fixed and predictable as some big companies would like to think it is.

The financial markets structure of the world is changing and with it the way business is conducted in quite a few areas of the economy, including the internet.

It may be the biggest extra market push yet driving the realization of the semantic web.

Re[4]: The next Internet giant: linking open data, providing open access  to repositories

Yes, Milton, I agree on the paid part of the Net. However, on the future player, these big guys (Google, Yahoo, and some others) own the traffic and got the money needed to create such a 'federation' if/when the Web comes to this stage, they also shown the capability to change their business models and even philosophies when that isn't effective anymore. Of course, we can only guess what happens next, but your ideas are indeed insightful and interesting.

Kindest regards,
Shavkat
http://www.seomanager.com

---

Dear Shavkat,

The subscription would not be for all the net but for parts of the internet that are of particular interest to a specific user, the comment was meant to indicate an analogy to what already exists now, online excerpt databases for professional journals.

For example in my case I would not mind paying such a subscription if I could get search results based on ALL searchable information and data on sustainable development.

Google, Yahoo! and the other search engines in a sense behave a lot like the pharmaceutical conglomerates and multinationals, they only build applications and services for the largest potential definable market segments which are of interest to advertisers.

I agree with you on the fact that freedom of access and free access are essential, but some parts must pay for the whole, which is a business model used by Google and Yahoo!

The beauty of it all that in the end, standards, developing technologies and applications and the collectivity of the users are the only things that define the development of the internet.

In my opinion neither Google nor Yahoo! has the required diversity of needed human resources to upgrade to the internet giant of the semantic web internet era.

Milton Ponson
GSM: +297 747 8280
Rainbow Warriors Core Foundation
PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
www.rainbowwarriors.net
Project Paradigm: A structured approach to bringing the tools for sustainable development to all stakeholders worldwide
www.projectparadigm.info
NGO-Opensource: Creating ICT tools for NGOs worldwide for Project Paradigm
www.ngo-opensource.org
MetaPortal: providing online access to web sites and repositories of data and information for sustainable development
www.metaportal.info
SemanticWebSoftware, part of NGO-Opensource to enable SW technologies in the Metaportal project
www.semanticwebsoftware.org