Re: Potential Home for LOD Data Sets - is it Open?

Hi Hugh,

Note sure I follow your argument, as LOD or DBpedia in this specific
case is free  ... if you either:

1. Access the live service hosted by OpenLink at http://dbpedia.org
2. Setup your own DBpedia instance locally as detailed at:
	http://docs.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/
rdfperformancetuning.html#rdfperfloadingdbpedia

Note we are also going to provide a DBpedia installer to make the
setting up of a local instance an easier process.

If you want to use the Virtuoso DBpedia EC2 AMI, then as with other
services in the Amazon Cloud you pay for Data transfer and/or a
subscription fee to the application owner, which by the way is for
the Virtuoso Server Instance hosting the DBpedia data and not DBpedia
itself.

Also, "open" does not necessarily imply "free" in my opinion, as I
see it more as referring to the means of accessing the data being via
"open" standards ...

Best Regards
Hugh Williams
Professional Services