Re: Exercise: LOD questions (R)†was ( Do we need another list(s)? )

This is a series of questions that I received from a member in our Semantic
Web Austin group. I can't seem to answer all of them thoroughly. Hope we can
get more answers on this and we can start creating material for the FAQ I am
proposing.

----------------------

These are some things I'd like to see in an FAQ. Here are a few questions
from the
point of view of a business person who is vaguely aware of LOD but not
clear on its use:

- My company has recently released an API for access to structured
(database) data about 55 million companies and 35 million people. Do
you think I should release this in an LOD format? How would my
customers benefit.

- Can you give a use case for mixing LOD with privately supplied data
(from my companies own data sources or from user-generated content) to
produce a useful application?

- What commercial applications are there that use LOD?

- What are some of the major limitations of today's software that
would be improved upon by using LOD?

- How does LOD fit into the bigger Semantic Web picture? Write a
seperate sentence or two for each of the following terms that states
how that topic relates to LOD:
RDF
OWL
Resource
URI
Ontologies
Agent
Service discovery
Triples

Example: "RDF is a standard format that can be used to publish LOD
datasets."

- Okay, I'd like to use LOD for a pilot of a commercial project. I'm
going to include 1 million triples. What production-environment
resources will I need to set up. What will my architecture include?
Will there just be a giant RDF file or a big set of them? Will they
just be front-ended by a web server? Will a database be needed?

- Can I build a proprietary closed source application that
incorporates LOD? How would I combine free and fee-based data? I know
how to do it with an API. How would I do it with linked data?

Juan Sequeda, Ph.D Student
Dept. of Computer Sciences
The University of Texas at Austin
www.juansequeda.com