Re: Visualizing LOD Linkage

Hello!

> Is this really a problem? Why not just keep in mind that triple numbers are
> a purely mechanical measure and are no indication of quality or usefulness?
>
> A raw triple count is just that, a raw triple count. It doesn't mean
> anything else. And it is useful for anyone who wants to
> store/index/postprocess a dataset/linkset, because for storage and querying
> the number of triples matters.

I wasn't talking about triples counts actually (as you said, a triple
count is just that). But about quantifying the number of interlinks in
a way that is consistent across dataset (just that, no notion of
usefulness:-) ) - eg. in a way where you can say "oh, this dataset
indeed have more interlinks than this one". I was arguing that the
current way of doing it (counting triples that mention an `external'
resource) is not consistent, as you can easily make that number higher
or lower by applying simple transformations to your data.

I think a consistent way of measuring the interlinking is to just
count the number of distinct `external' resources in the dataset
(which will give the lowest number you get by applying such
transformations).

See for example http://dbtune.org/musicbrainz/,
http://dbtune.org/bbc/peel/ or http://dbtune.org/jamendo/

Cheers!