Re: [Linking-open-data] watchdog.net and LOD best practices

Matthias Samwald wrote:
> Kingsley wrote:
>> A Web of Data is a Web of Data Objects. The Document Web is a Web of
>> Documents.
>
> But are "data objects" not just another layer of abstraction? RDF/OWL
> gives us the possibility to use URIs and ontologies to describe the
> things we are interested in (districts, people, protein sequences)
> without taking detours through thinking in terms of documents, data
> sets, conceptualisation and other abstractions. When we say that
> <http://example1.org/john_doe> owl:sameAs
> <http://example2.org/john_doe>, this is a statement about an object in
> reality, and not a data object (and, of course, not about a document
> either). Maybe this is just a matter of semantics, and with "data
> objects" you were actually referring to these objects in reality. For
> me, the term "data" is strongly associated with artefacts in our
> computer systems, and not objects in reality.
Objects are vehicles of Data Access (by value or reference).
Objects/Entities are instances of Classes.
At the very least <http://example2.org/john_doe> is an instance of a
owl:Thing even before we get to foaf:Person.

Anyway, you raise an interesting point as you've given me a reminder to
share the following with anyone confused or unsure about Distributed
Objects and the Web.

Read:  http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/9703-web-apps-essay.html

Kingsley

>> We have to do a better job of explaining what Object Identity is about
>> in the context of the Linekd Data Web, especially as this is an area of
>> computer science that predates the Web.
>
> I think foundational ontologies such as DOLCE [1] and BFO [2] could be
> of great utility for clarifying how identities of objects and classes
> are defined. I guess that such 'strict' approaches to ontology
> engineering are currently not very popular in the LOD community, but I
> think that their value will soon be recognized when the LOD dataset
> cloud grows -- and more and more questions about the actual meaning of
> 'sameAs' and 'equivalentClass' arise. At least, this was the case with
> the complex RDF/OWL datasets we are dealing with in the life science
> and health care community [3].
>
> [1] http://www.loa-cnr.it/DOLCE.html
> [2] http://www.ifomis.org/bfo
> [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/hcls-kb/
>
> Cheers,
> Matthias Samwald
> Semantic Web Company, Austria // DERI Galway, Ireland
> http://www.semantic-web.at/
> http://www.deri.ie/

President & CEO