From: public-lod-request@w3.org [mailto:public-lod-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Matthias Samwald
Sent: 17 April 2008 10:02
To: public-lod@w3.org
Cc: Tassilo Pellegrini; Andreas Blumauer (Semantic Web Company)
Subject: Linking non-open data

I hope this is not too off-topic for a mailing list entitled 'linking
open
data'...

A question that will surely arise in many places when more people get to

know about the linked data initiative and the growing infrastructure of
linked open data is: how can these principles be applied to
organizational
data that might not / only partially be open to the public web? People
will
soon try to develop practices for selectively protecting parts of their
linked data with fine-grained access rights. Could simple HTTP
authentication be useful for linked data? How does authentication work
for
SPARQL endpoints containing several named graphs? Can we use RDF
vocabularies to represent access rights? Should such vocabularies be
standardized?

Is there any ongoing work on defining such practices (or even 'best
practices')?

Cheers,
Matthias Samwald
Semantic Web Company, Austria // DERI Galway, Ireland
http://www.semantic-web.at/
http://www.deri.ie/

.

This email is only intended for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person.

Unless stated otherwise, the contents of this email are personal to the writer and do not represent the official view of Ordnance Survey. Nor can any contract be formed on Ordnance Survey's behalf via email. We reserve the right to monitor emails and attachments without prior notice.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ordnance Survey
Romsey Road
Southampton SO16 4GU