RE: LOD Cloud Diagram Licensing Added to Wiki

Hi Marc,

I think we need to be very clear in distinguishing between licensing of
the diagram and how the individual data sets are licensed, which is
something in which we all need to invest more effort, but will
ultimately consist of many varied local arrangements. I would have
thought that anyone looking for info about Geonames data is licensed
would pay more attention to http://www.geonames.org/about.html than the
LOD wiki page.

There may well be a case for a clearer statement on the wiki to the
effect that the license only applies to the diagram. I'd argue that this
is the way to go rather than changing the terms of the license for the
diagram.

Having said that, I did ponder the share-alike restriction, as I was
concerned that making slides including the diagram constituted a
derivative work. The CC site gives little guidance on this that I could
find - it seems to be a thorny issue. Perhaps we should hear the
arguments against making it CC-BY only. Please chip in anyone if you
have a view on this...

On the licensing question in general, I hope that our paper [1] coming
up at LDOW2008 is informative.

Cheers,

Tom.

[1] http://www.geonames.org/about.html